Professor & Associate Professor
Vacancy No: RU-056
Post Title: Professor & Associate Professor
Organization: Rana University
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Duration: Annual Contract (3 months’ probationary)
No of the Post: 3
Date Announced: Sep, 06, 2016
Closing Date: Sep, 17, 2016
RANA University is an institution established in 2009 and registered with the Ministry of Higher Educations of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. The establishment of RU is coinciding with the intense need of contribution to the rehabilitation and rebuilding process of Afghanistan in the higher and professional education sector.
RU as an institution to provide higher education has set goals that arte future-oriented, professional and skill based meeting the needs of today and the future in the contemporary education disciplines of business administration, computer science, mass communication, economics and English language in degree, diploma and certificate programs. In addition, RU provides training and development sessions on various subjects based on the market demands. See more at: www.ru.edu.af
Under the direct supervision of the Vice Chancellor “Academic”, the professor will undertake the following tasks and ensures that all his/her undertakings will be performed to the highest possible proficiency:
- To represent the directorate of faculty to the higher authorities such as: VC, Chancellor, Academic Committee and any external authorities as required.
- To conduct and lead the academic committee of the directorate of the master’s faculty in every 15 days and report the minutes of the meeting to the VC “Academic”
- To ensure that all ministry rules and internal policies are implemented effectively.
- To arrange, run and manage all academic affairs of the directorate as effective as required by Rana’s Academic Committee or the VC.
- To assign, cooperate, lead and control the sub-committee of the Quality Assurance tasks and report to VC and fully cooperate with the Head of Quality Assurance Committee.
- To oversee the needs, suggest and revise the curriculum on timely basis.
- To prepare and submit weekly status report of the directorate to the VC “Academic:
- To attend, report and suggest effective ideas at the board of directors meetings.
- To arrange, review and recommend faculty members to maintain and improve quality education.
- To participate and cooperate with the Exam Committee to ensure a quality exam conduction both in med and terminals.
- To fully cooperate with Rana’s Research Center
- To do any other task as assigned by the higher authorities.
• Conducting substantive research into complex problems, ideas, concepts or theories and applying appropriate methodologies
• Developing and carrying forward a coherent research strategy in their discipline which has national and international impact
• Developing a body of outstanding quality publications in well recognized peer reviewed outlets
• Initiating and developing links with internal contacts such as academics in interdisciplinary
Departments/institutes/centers, external contacts at other educational institutions, employers and professional organizations to actively foster collaboration
• Presenting research and giving invited papers at national and international conferences
• Acting as a reviewer for academic journals
• Providing academic leadership at conferences and raising the profile of LSE research
• Providing expert opinion and commentary to external audiences and organizations
• Contributing to the intellectual life of the university by engaging in high quality core lectureship.
• Contributing to the monitoring and enhancement of quality in teaching within the department.
• Actively seeking and pursuing training in teaching technology and practice.
• Teaching and examining undergraduate and master’s level students.
• Acting as personal adviser and providing pastoral care.
• Supervising PhD students (but not sole supervisory responsibility for research students whilst pre-Interim Review)
• Developing innovative and attractive courses, shaping and influencing curriculum development and actively contributing to the review of courses in accordance with departmental strategy
• Supervising hourly-paid teachers, including organizing and delegating work, arranging induction and providing training and guidance
• Actively contributing to departmental teaching administration.
Activities relating to departmental administration and management and/or University-wide service
• Fostering departmental collegiality and fulfilling individual responsibilities as set out by the
Head of Department and/or other senior colleagues.
• Actively contributing to the intellectual life of the department and to the work of the university overall, for example;
- Attending and participating in departmental meetings.
- Acting as a member of and/or chairing departmental, inter-departmental or university committees, e.g. exam boards and sub-boards
- Participating in departmental hiring searches and making shortlisting recommendations for new members of academic staff
- Liaising with central and departmental administration across the university to
- Resolve issues concerning program development, student welfare and examinations etc.
- Engaging with external institutions, organizations and the wider community to support research, teaching and School strategic objectives.
- Education: At least PhD degree with specialization in any of the following fields from a recognized university/institute.
- Software Engineering
- Computer Networks
- Computer Programing
- Systems Analysis
- Telecommunication Engineering
- Copies of Educational and Experience Documents would be required before conducting an online interview.
- Experience: 1 - 5 years’ experience in Lectureship.
- Language Skills: Fluent oral, written, and comprehensive skills in English and knowing Dari & Pashto would be an asset.
- Personal qualification: Must be hard worker and honest having strong teaching skill & knowledge.
For international professors the university offers the following additional facilities:
- Invitation for Afghanistan Visa.
- Process of work permit.
- Travel arrangement.
- Accommodation & Hostel facilities plus 3 times meal.
Please submit your cover letter and CV and indicate clearly in the subject of your e-mail the vacancy number and the position you’re applying for.
Mob: +93(0) 729101959
Add: Baraki Square, Kabul Afghanistan
Only the applications of those candidates with above profile will be considered for shortlist and interview will be conducted online via Skype or IMO.